A4EU (ANYWHERE for Europe) is a novel multi- Decision Support System (DSS) able to process high resolution local impact models combining them with the regional layers of exposure and vulnerability, being able to automatically identify the affected critical points, including their characteristics and location. A4EU is able to integrate data and information from various sources (usually available but not interconnected), processing it by means of AI techniques to integrate it to the hazard forecastings served by the ANYWHERE’s Multi-Hazard Early Warning System (MH-EWS) with high resolution local impact models. The predicted hazard escalation and impact is automatically combined with the regional layers of exposure and vulnerability in the Command Centres (EMCs). This enables and management specialists to focus on local IMPACTS, without the necessity to look into the details of the meteorological forecasts and triggers, selecting the most vulnerable locations (i.e. Schools, Train stations, Hospitals, Seveso facilities, etc.) instead of vast regions, supporting them to magnify their capabilities.
The A4EU prototypes have been deployed, verified, tested and operationally demonstrated during more than one year in 7 Pilot Sites involving Centres, covering all the climatic range in EU, showing excellent results in a number of events. The A4EU DSS have demonstrated to be able to operate in any location in Europe, also having different geographical extension and scope (from a region to an entire country). Each prototype deployed received a specific name linked to the region/country/ under where it operates.
The system has been designed under with the collaboration of involved first responders from Pilot Sites under a co-creation environment, allowing the needs expressed and expertise from operational guiding the entire innovative process, from the design to the implementation and the operation. The most remarkable is to have supported the participant EMCs to move forward towards a “new paradigm” in emergency response, transforming it from reactive to proactive (starting before that the emergency occurs), which allows a better management of the emergency (being able to predict hazards' escalation and impact) and a significant reduction of damages.
The main features of the A4EU DSS are described below:
- Translation of the meteorological forecasts into impact forecasts located in time and space.
- Integration of the impact forecasting products served by the ANYWHERE Multi-Hazard Early Warning System (MH-EWS) with high resolution local impact models in one single platform.
- Capacity to combine regional layers of exposure and vulnerability information to provide a local of the potential impacts.
- Connection to different local sources in real-time: sensors, high resolution radar observations, meteorological warnings, among others.
- Automatic detection of regions at (based on impact forecasting products) in a near future, issuing the corresponding alerts in the Centre.
Supported Use Cases
ANYWHERE Catalonia Pilot Site: Floods in south Tarragona 19th October 2018
DRIVER+ project has received funding from the European Union's 7th Framework Programme for Research,