When UAV pilots embark on a time-critical mission, the communication of UAV photo and video contents may be urgent in that the observations can influence decisions and the efficiency of the mission. In emergency situations however, one may be confronted by unreliable communication networks whose low bandwidth significantly slows or hinders data transmission. Difficulties in getting crucial imagery out of the field not only affects overall situational awareness and decision making but can also prevent expert feedback needed to guide UAV pilots in the collection of specific observations.
With these challenges in mind, AnsuR has developed UAV-ASIGN, a mobile application and companion to the ASIGN server. UAV-ASIGN enables pilots to, through their smartphone, capture precise geo-tagged visual UAV contents and then communicate it in real-time with relevant parties all while in-flight.
Given the low bandwidth which may be available in the field, UAV-ASIGN has been developed to work anywhere, anytime, through limited networks and satellite communication to reliably support time-critical activities including post-disaster interventions or search & rescue missions.
UAV-ASIGN allows for interactive communication by sending imagery previews up to 100x faster than traditional methods. Remote experts or clients can then pull relevant imagery in full precision with the ASIGN software server, which can be accessed from any web browser, and communicate needs in real-time. This enables a continuous feedback loop between the pilot flying the UAV in the field and an expert who may be hundreds of kilometres away.
Streamlining communication between UAV pilot and remote expert results in a faster and more efficient mission completion. For the client, receiving precise information in near real-time allows for better oversight and resource allocation, while shortening response time.
Supported Use Cases
Reducing response time through efficient data collection, communication and situational understanding
Time is the most critical factor in any kind of emergency. The UAV-ASIGN software contributes to reduced response time in emergencies, disasters and critical situations by providing several capabilities for:
- Simple and swift UAV data collection in the field by UAV pilots. Using a dedicated smartphone application with key features that make data collection more efficient:
- Capturing of geo-referenced photos and video while in-flight
- Categorisation and Prioritisation (e.g. for triage) of observations
- Fast and efficient data communication through bandwidth efficient solutions that save up to 99% of time, cost and resources. Communicate even through networks with lower coverage or satellite links, enabling effective communication in larger or remote areas.
- Highly efficient data protocols developed by AnsuR, GR4-COMS
- Interactive UAV-ASIGN communication allows for the sending of a preview and then the pulling of operationally relevant full-precision contents.
- Allowing for operational interaction despite low networks between UAV pilot in the field and remote headquarter
- Faster tactical response due to faster and increased situational awareness
- Cost and time savings while increasing precision
- Improved situational understanding by integrating the data into a common operational picture with maps and other types of information, within the easy to use ASIGN Server graphical interfaces.
- Data management, categorizing, filtering and analysis
- Communication with ASIGN field users and other stakeholders
- Geo-feeds into a mapping system that can be fused with other types of information
- Computer vision capabilities